Tuesday 7 January 2014

Sponsorship and speedos...

I have put together a sponsorship page with Virgin Money Giving, to raise funds for Prostate Cancer UK.  All the donated money goes straight to the charity, with the added bonus of Gift Aid if you are a UK tax payer.  If you can manage to contribute to my fundraising page then it would be greatly appreciated, either click on the link below or the button at the top right of the page.
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/ridingalongwayslowly 

When I have completed the rally next year I'll be putting the C110 up for sale and all the money I get for it will be added to the total on the Virgin Money Giving page.

In other news, I've started stripping the speedos down so that I can clean up the clock face and the internals, as well as getting the chrome bezel's refinished.  I say speedos as I actually have four of them amongst all the parts I have.  One is a NOS item, but unfortunately has some mould on the inside of the glass over the dial.

I started by taking apart the speedo in worst condition, my sacrificial lamb to help me work out the best way to disassemble the other speedos in a non-destructive way.

Corroded chrome and grubby internals


Removing the bezel required gently easing up the metal edge that was folded during manufacture.  It's a reasonably tough and springy steel, so it is a slow process and needs some care.  However, I got there in the end and managed to extract the innards.  This speedo is particularly grubby inside where grease appears to have leaked from the cable drive onto the numbers and dial.  It'll take some cleaning!


Feeling confident I then had a go at the speedo off the red C110.  Unfortunately this wasn't so successful! You should be able to make out two cracks in the bezel in the photo below, which is resting on top of the speedo body.  Almost as soon as I started to ease the metal up it cracked, it was very brittle.  At least I have the parts to make one good speedo out of the two!



No comments:

Post a Comment