Friday 4 July 2014

Ready for the off.

The bike is all loaded up, the forecast isn't too bad and I'm ready to go!  I can't quite believe that it's time for the rally.  I bought the bike almost a year ago, and the time has gone very quickly.  To finally be at the point of embarking on the rally itself feels a bit weird.



This will be my 'home' for 20hrs, starting at midday on Saturday.  I'm sorted out with a route card holder, a map light for the night time leg, a watch so I can check progress to see if a Gold is possible and a picture of Dad on 'his' C110 50 years ago.  I'm anticipating that it's going to be quite difficult to keep motivated so having a picture of Dad will remind me why I'm doing the rally, and perhaps it'll give me a psychological slipstream!

My matrix route is below, starting at Chipping Sodbury (14) up to Kettering (31) and down to London and the Ace Cafe (3).  The main decision point is at Devizes (18), right at the end of the Silver route.  I'm pretty confident of achieving a Silver (400 miles) so my wife has sorted out a route that allows me to add on the extra 100 miles for Gold right at the end of the Silver route.  When I get to Devizes, as long as it is before 02:45 on Sunday, I should have enough time to go for Gold.  If not then I'll get a few hours kip and head to Warminster (60) once the final controls become active at 06:00.


I intend to update this blog at each checkpoint so if you'd like to follow my progress then check in from time to time.  Alternatively you can follow me on Twitter @duleyp, where I'll post a link to the blog at each update.  Unless I get too pressed for time of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment