Tuesday 4 March 2014

One step forwards, two steps back...

Had a half hour free this evening, so thought I'd pop the barrel on.  Piece of cake, needed some care to get the rings in (spacing the gaps 120° apart) but took 10 minutes tops.

Unfortunately, as I turned the crank the camshaft dropped out!  There isn't anything to retain it until the right hand case is fitted.  The problem with this is that it means that the camshaft to crank timing is now out.  To set the timing you need to be able to see the crankshaft pin (see last post), but it's hidden by the clutch.  Grrrr!

So, the clutch is off again.  I've learnt my lesson and scribed a mark on the crankshaft gear tooth that needs to align with the mark on the camshaft gear.  If it happens again I'll have a reference that I can see.

End result of the evening; barrel on, clutch off.  [Technically one step forward one step back]


No comments:

Post a Comment