Sunday 8 December 2013

All apart!

An hour and a half spanner twirling in the garage this evening, and the end result?  The crankcases are apart!


Right tool for the right job.  Makes life so much easier!  Luckily I could use the same puller as I use on my 350LC.


 The stator plate had obviously been off before, the fasteners were quite chewed.


Removing the stator plate showed that the crankseal had been leaking, not a surprise after all these years.  It may well have been fine when it was last run properly and started leaking as the rubber hardened with age.


Next job, lifting out the crank and gearbox and tidying up the cases ready for vapour blasting.


Overall it's been a pretty straightforward disassembly.  What it has brought home to me is the importance of using the proper tools.  The impact driver, clutch holding tool and the puller have all saved me a lot of grief.

I also need to source new rubber seals and bearings, although the latter feel OK it seems shortsighted to not replace them.



No comments:

Post a Comment