Saturday 7 December 2013

More surprises.

I found the time to take the engine disassembly further this evening, starting with stripping down the clutch side of the engine.


With careful application of an impact driver the case bolts loosed up nicely, allowing the innards to be exposed for the first time in 50 years, or so I thought.


Removing the clutch pushrod revealed that the clutch hub nut has been off at least once in the past.  It'd been exposed to a fair amount of abuse in the process as well.  I was surprised by this as there is little external evidence that the engine has been apart before.  In addition I didn't think there would have been much cause for it to be apart in 10,000 miles.  However, I guess it all depends on how well it was looked after for those miles. I took a more measured approach to removing the nut, with the correct special tool and a clutch holding tool to stop the assembly from rotating.


The abused clutch nut, not my fault honest!


So, next I need to check the clutch plates, and continue the disassembly of the clutch side of the engine.  A job for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment