Sunday 27 April 2014

Forward motion!

About 8hrs of garage time has been spent this week, for what might seem like little progress.  However, the project has made some important steps forward.

The footrests and gear change are fitted, the clutch cable is installed (what a saga!), and the headlight properly put together.  I've fitted the seat off the black C110D (it's not a C114 as I said in one of the earlier posts), but it's not an original seat and isn't a great fit.  I'll aim to sort out something better before the National Road Rally.  This is a good example of what has slowed me up over recent weeks, trying to get pattern parts to fit properly.  In quite a few cases I've had to refit the original item (such as with the clutch cable) and sacrifice having a nice shiny new part for something that fits/functions correctly.

Of course, what this all means is that it is rideable!  So I ignored the rain showers and carried out a few short runs somewhere quiet.  I was a bit wobbly at first but by the end I'd got used to the light weight of the bike, and the riding position.  Getting the engine nice and warm allowed me to set up the carburation to get a fairly reliable idle.  I also ran it up through each gear, so know that the gearbox is working as it should (as expected from the bench tests after the rebuild).  It's another important milestone.

I'd like to use the C110 for the Spirit of the Sixties classic run in two weeks time.  It's a bit of a stretch objective as it's 220 miles riding but it would make a great practice run for the National Road Rally.  The main thing that is likely to stop me now is getting the V5 back from the DVLA.  I'm hopeful I'll receive it in time, but you never know.

Unfortunately the head light bulb (main beam) has blown already. The only source I've found for these so far is quite expensive, so I need to get trawling the internet to look for somewhere else.  It appears to have had a poor seal, as there is a lot of soot on the inside of the glass.  At the moment this is the only item that would stop it failing an MOT (apart from the missing front brake cable!).

There are a pile of cosmetic things that need sorting, as well as a few more important jobs.

Things to do:
Get a stock of headlight bulbs!
Fit front brake cable
Fit front mudguard
Fit side panels
Fit chain case
Miscellaneous cosmetics
Make up a new carb float bowl gasket





No comments:

Post a Comment